Sunday, June 04, 2006

Marathon Complete!





Well, Kim and I finished the marathon! We were shooting for a time of 3 hours and 20 minutes. We finished in 3 hours and 6 minutes! ! ! That's almost a 14 minute mile!

Here we are about to start the marathon!

We got to the Titan's Colesium at 5:30 am the morning of the marathon. This was where the marathon ended. We took a shuttle to where the marathon was going to start. There was tons of people around everywhere! It was like a sea of people! Of course, I had to hit the port-o-john. I waited in line for a long time!

With that out of the way, we got in our corral and waited for the start of the race. Finally it was time for our corral to start the race! It was a bit surreal-here we are about to walk 13.1 miles!

If you have never walked a 1/2 marathon, then I highly suggest it. It was a lot of fun! There were people cheering us on. They would hold us signs to encourage us. Here are some of the signs I remember:

"We know a shortcut!"
"Think you're sore now, Wait until tomorrow!"
"Fart, it makes you run faster!" -------(this was my personal favorite! ! ! !)

The runners/walkers were just as fun. There was one girl who stayed around us for a while who wore a large colorful sombrero the whole way! There was a group of guys running with a small cooler filled with beer! Their shirts said, "Miles ran...Beers drank." I don't know how many beers they consumed or if they even finished the marathon! ! !



Kim was doing great but it really hit me at mile marker 10! I felt like I could not push any harder and I just wanted to stop. But Kim keep me going! As we were coming to the finish line, Kim and I held hands and finished the 1/2 marathon!

My legs felt like lead! Kim, I believe, could have walked more! ! !

Oh, we did see a little Chinese adopted girl (about 3 years old) standing on the side of the street with her father, watching the marathon. I looked at her and gave her a smile and waved and she smiled and waved back! My heart about melted! ! !

Talk about motivation! ! !

No comments: